Spay and Neuter for Dogs and Cats in Cypress, TX
If you’re not planning to breed your pet, you’ll need to have them spayed or neutered once they reach the right age. Most pet parents don’t plan on raising litters of puppies or kittens, which, in addition to being a lot of work, can also be quite expensive! At Cypress Fairhaven Animal Hospital, we believe that spay and neuter procedures are the most compassionate way to prevent unwanted litters and reduce animal overpopulation, which is a big concern in just about every city. We owe it to our pets and our community to spay and neuter, because it makes life better for animals and people alike.
Is it almost time to spay or neuter your pet?
Give us a call at (281) 256-8085 to schedule their consultation or procedure.
What are the Benefits of Spaying or Neutering My Pet?
Dogs and cats can experience a variety of health benefits from being spayed and neutered.
- Will not have their heat cycle
- Will not be at risk for ovarian or uterine cancer
- Are less at risk for mammary gland tumors*
- Will not be at risk for a serious uterine infection known as pyometra
- Will be less likely to act on their hormones and go searching for a mate
- Are likely to be less aggressive, especially around females in heat
- Will not be at risk for testicular cancer
- Are less at risk for an enlarged prostate
- Will be less likely to attempt to run away and search for a mate
- Will be less likely to engage in urine spraying and territory marking
When to Spay and Neuter
Cats and small and medium-sized dogs can typically be spayed and neutered around 6 months of age, though some cats can be spayed or neutered as early as 4 months. Large and extra large dog breeds, however, need to wait a few more months. Because they need more time to grow and their reproductive hormones are connected to their growth rate, we prefer to spay and neuter them at roughly a year old. This ensures no interference with their growth or heightened risk of joint development issues later.
To talk with a veterinarian about what is best for your pet call (281) 256-8085 or book an appointment online.